6x6 Wild Art Project
Original pieces of bird-themed art on 6″x6″ canvases.
Please note: Free canvases are no longer available to 6x6 artists at Blick stores.
Paint a bird to help the birds!
Transform a 6x6 canvas into an imaginative work of art to benefit Portland's wildlife. Birds are always the subject, but our 2014 special theme is “YardBirds.” Blick Art Materials is donating the canvases. You create the art! Let your imagination soar! Donated artwork will be exhibited and sold at the 2014 Wild Arts Festival at Montgomery Park in northwest Portland. At the bottom of this page is a slide show of the 2013 6x6 canvases.
How to participate:
1. Sign out your 6”x6” canvas at either Blick store starting September 2. Please note: Free canvases are no longer available to 6x6 artists at Blick stores.
- 1115 NW Glisan, Portland | Hours: Mon-Sat 9-8, Sun 11-6
- 2710 Cedar Hills Blvd., Beaverton | Hours: Mon-Sat 9-8, Sun 11-6
2. Paint, assemble, or create your art using your medium of choice. Be creative and have fun with the subject of “birds” and the 2014 special theme. Be sure to keep artwork within the 6x6 area.
3. Delicate work (ex. pastel, cut paper) should be submitted with appropriate protection. Do not submit a canvas with wet paint. Give yourself adequate lead time to allow the paint to dry thoroughly.
4. Print your name clearly on the back of your canvas.
5. Return your finished canvas along with a completed participation form by November 2 to either Blick store.
In addition to being part of a fun, collective project and supporting an important cause, artists will receive two passes to the Wild Arts Festival, and discount coupons for Blick, the Audubon Society of Portland Nature Store, and the Backyard Bird Shop. Artists will be recognized in the Festival program, on the Audubon website, and in the 2014 6x6 video. Watch for your mailing after the November 2 closing date.
Donated artwork will be priced at $45 each. All proceeds support the conservation, environmental education and wildlife rehabilitation work of the Audubon Society of Portland.
Q & A
What if I can’t get to Blick to pick up a canvas?
Blick generously donates canvases for this project but if you are unable to get to a Blick Store, you are welcome to use your own or obtain one elsewhere. Regardless, be sure your artwork is no larger than a 6” x 6” x 2.5” canvas.
Do I have to paint something that fits the theme?
No. The theme is just a fun suggestion to get your imagination going.
How critical is the deadline?
All artwork must be submitted by the November 2 deadline in order to be included on the poster and in the slideshow. An email reminder will be sent to all who gave an email address when signing out canvases from Blick.
What is the purpose of the participation form?
This is the official donation form and must accompany every piece of artwork. It is also the source we use to ensure that artist names are spelled correctly on the poster and slide show. Please print clearly! Click here to print out a participation form.
What happens to any unsold artwork?
Unsold pieces are used in the Audubon education programs or presented as gifts during volunteer recognition events.